skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Lee
    Participant

Well, I off to Sunnybrook in a few minutes for my second TURB.

Scheduled to go in at 7:45am with Dr. L. Klotz as the surgeon.

Here we go again….

Chris

Greg
    Participant

All the best Chris.
    Greg

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Good luck today Chris.
    Jack

auntybevy
    Participant

Chris:. Hope all went well today.
    Bev

KIOWA
    Participant

Chris, God bless, hope everything went well.

Ki

Chris Lee
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the good wishes….they must have worked cause everything seemed (from perspective at least) to go rather well.

I arrived at the hospital with my sister (she drove) early and parked in my spot in the employees lot. Checked in at the OR check in and within a minute I was taken back to prep. The nurse did have a hard time finding a good spot for the IV which was unusual since I do have nice big veins and rarely have problems. Within 20 mins I was on my way to the OR (or should I say the hall outside the OR). Another 15min wait and a couple of short interviews from the nurse and the anesthetist and I walked into the OR. They got me onto the table and 5mins later (I think LOL) I was off in dream land…..

Less than an hour later I awoke in the recovery room and I really didn’t feel all that bad. The last time I woke up in recovery I felt like I had been run over by a truck, this time it was more like being woken from a very deep sleep, just a little groggy. I didn’t really have any pain to speak of just a little irritation from the dreaded catheter (God I HATE those things). I have vague recollection of a conversation with a very nice recovery room nurse and a ride in an elevator and down some halls to the SSU. My sister says that I spoke to her when I first arrived in SSU but I don’t really remember that. The next hour or two are a blurr. I do remember calling my Dad and eating some jello. The rest of the day I was in and out of sleep and according to my sister, snoring rather loudly.

Dr. Klotz dropped by to see me towards the end of the day to tell me that everything went well and the surger, in his words, was “unremarkable”. Of course we won’t know the next steps until the pathology reports come back but we are hopeful of a negative report followed up by standard BCG treatments.

The night passed relatively uneventfully except for the a somewhat loud and demanding other patient a few beds down. Oh well, everyone has a different hospital experience and I guess his was not as good as mine. Another very nice nurse gave me ear plugs to help me sleep. There was also my malfunctioning call button that decided I needed a nurse at 3am despite the fact that I was asleep. It was very insistent and went off several times even while the nurse was there trying to figure out what IT wanted. I guess it felt unused, because I was fine.

Anyway, by 9:00am the dreaded catheter was removed, I had been to the bathroom the required 2 times , spoken to the urology resident and my brother and sister in-law where there to take me home.

So now I’m home and on the mend…

Chris

marysue
    Participant

Hi Chris! Glad to hear that the TURBT went off ok. The waiting for results is the hardest. I share your loathing of catheters. I’ve had my issues with those since childhood. Maybe someday there will be a better option. Gives new meaning to “up yours” I think. Sorry to be crude, but I too have always been “relieved” (sorry about the pun) when they have been removed. By the way, the idea of earplugs is brilliant. I wish that I had thought of that. Anyhow, all the best for a speedy recovery and good results from pathology.

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Hi Chris, so glad all went well. Keep us posted when you get the path report.
    Get lot’s of rest and remember NO lifting for the next few weeks.
    All the best on a speedy recovery.
    Jack

KIOWA
    Participant

Glad it well Chris.

But “a few beds down”? Like that’s more than 2 bed I take it. Wow. I have never been in a hospital nor do I know of any that have more than 2 beds in a room.. There are 2 bed rooms and private rooms ($10.00 extra per day that insurance does not pay for so i pay the other 10). Hymmm. I may no0t move to Canada after all. My friends in Europe tell me they have lots of beds in a room, large rooms I guess.. I think we are spoiled here. As long as people get treated well and have good care, that’s the impt. thing. Will be keeping you in my prayers.

Ki

Greg
    Participant

Good to hear you’re home, Chris. Take it easy for a couple of days and let those around you do the lifting. Have a great Canada Day, tumourless weekend.
    Greg

Chris Lee
    Participant

Glad it well Chris.

But “a few beds down”? Like that’s more than 2 bed I take it. Wow. I have never been in a hospital nor do I know of any that have more than 2 beds in a room.. There are 2 bed rooms and private rooms ($10.00 extra per day that insurance does not pay for so i pay the other 10). Hymmm. I may no0t move to Canada after all. My friends in Europe tell me they have lots of beds in a room, large rooms I guess.. I think we are spoiled here. As long as people get treated well and have good care, that’s the impt. thing. Will be keeping you in my prayers.

Ki

Hi KIOWA,

The SSU ward at Sunnybrook stands for Short Stay Unit. It is a sort of an “ICU” unit for patients who are recovering from so called minor surgeries that don’t require a regular hospital stay. The patients in the SSU stay as little as a few hours up to a maximum of 23hrs. If a longer stay is required then they are moved to a regular room on a regular floor. It is a more efficient use of hospital resources and is a better way to transition patients who don’t need to be in hospital back home. Sunnybrook actually has a few of this type of ward, one for surgical patients, one for emergency patients and one for obstetrical patients. At each one the maximum length of stay is 23hrs in the unit then the patient either goes home or to a standard room (private or semi private) for further treatment.

Chris

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.