skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Homepage – Forum Forums Off Topic TOTALLY CONFUSED

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KIOWA
    Participant

I just don;t understand. Why is silverware called silverware when silver is rarely used these days. There is aluminum, plastic, and all kinds of other materials used to make forks, knives, spoons, etc. but still people call it silverware. And then there is Emily Post. Why did she got to decide which side the fork goes on? I mean, seriously, who cares. I’m left handed and there should be a separate Emily Post for people like me. And why does the napkin have to be on your lap. And then I have to ask why the right hand should not be on the table and why you can;t put your elbows on the table. I have nightmares over these things. And did you ever wonder why there are all kinds of different types of glasses for different things. Heaven forbid you put wine in a beer mug. And like silverware, why do people call plastic “glasses” glasses. I’m not going to get into the china thing. I don;t care if my plates are china or paper.

Kiowa

cheryl9
    Participant

Hello Kiowa

Then there is “kleenex” even though many other companies not named “kleenex” make “kleenex”. Remember the days of “xerox”? No matter whose machine you did a photocopy on, you called it a “xerox”.

Simple answer: we are creatures of habit. When something new comes out and we are so enthralled with it, we get stuck on the name regardless of what company makes it. This is why companies try so hard to be the first one out of the block with a new product. So they can be considered the “expert” and “best” for that.

Remember IBM and IBM compatible computers? Too bad IBM’s ego got too big and they sat back on their haunches while the rest of the world moved forward. For those that don’t know, IBM was the first on the market with the PC. Their PC was so successful that everything for PCs was made for the IBM computer. The only way other companies could break into the PC market was to produce an IBM compatible computer. IBM thought they had the world by the tail and sat back with their product and didn’t improve on it. Then one day they woke up and realized that they had been left behind. They tried to break into the PC market again but failed. IBM now focuses on super computers. IBM sure learnt the hard way on this.

Oh yes, they also had an employee named Bill Gates that was hired to write a new software operating system. He did. Problem is, someone at IBM forgot to get him to sign the agreement that anything he created/produced was the property of IBM. Bill Gates knew they did and the rest is history. Wonder if that “someone” got fired.

Also, prior to the PC fiasco, IBM bragged that they had never laid off a single employee. After the PC fiasco, their first round of layoffs numbers around 11,000.

Cheryl

Suzanne
    Participant

Kiowa, I bet you are no big fan of Downtown Abbey, hehe. 🙂

KIOWA
    Participant

Oh my gosh NO!

KIOWA
    Participant

Pretty cool info about the computer stuff. It sort of reminds me of back in the fifties and 60s when station wagons were very common. If you had a plaain Chevy coupe you would say I have a new Chevy. n Or if you had a two door ford you would say “I just got a new Ford”. But if you got a station wagon, regardless of the manufacturer you would simply say “I got a ne station wagon”. It was so generic. Once Ya person would say “give me a beer” Now it’s specific. “Give me a Miller, or a Michelob or even an Alexander Keith. I think Eddie and jack and MarySue have a lot to do with all this.

Ki

cheryl9
    Participant

Hello Kiowa

Just have to add another two cents since you brought up beer. Stella Artois is a Belgian beer. Don’t know about down there, but up here there is a big advertising campaign going on for this beer. The ads make the beer seem like it is really something. But then if it didn’t, the advertising company would be fired. Anyway, in Belgium, if you ask for Stella Artois, the staff would be insulted. It is consider an inferior beer in Belgium. Most pubs don’t even carry it.

Also, asking for this beer in Belgium definitely singles you out as a tourist. The English language may have something to do with this also.

Take care
    Cheryl

KIOWA
    Participant

I think I had a girlfriend by that name. In any event. I don;t drink beer so Stella and I would not get along.

Ki

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.