skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Faith11
    Participant

My mom is 67 yrs old and has been diagnosed with grade 3 noninvasive papillary urothelial carcinoma. Anybody out there with this similar diagnosis? Thanks

Rick B
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry to hear your Mom has been diagnosed with BC. I was diagnosed June 2012 (61 at the time) with low grade (T1) noninvasive plus carcinoma-insitu. I have been cancer free for 2 years now. I was on 3 mo follow-up (cystocopies) and now starting every 6 mo. I will be on bladder watch for the rest of my life.

I am not a medical expert by any means but the word noninvasive is good. It would appear your mom has already received the pathology results from her Urologist…if not, I would recommend she get a copy of it. I did and I was able to get some helpful info from the experienced followers on this site. After my first surgery (TURBT), I was treated with BCG to reduce the risk of recurrence. However, recurrence rate is high and in my case it recurred 2x…after each, I received BCG. All that took place within 12 months of first being diagnosed. Hopefully, your Urologist is thorough with answering all your questions, responding quickly with getting to surgery and has an action plan in mind. If that is not the case, you should sit with your Mom’s Uro and discuss. If for any reason you think you need a second opinion, Bladder Cancer Canada (BCC) can help/direct you to finding one.

Is your Mom living in Vancouver?…as you are probably aware, medical facilities in Vancouver are highly regarded and Bladder Cancer Canada has a strong support group there as well. If you have not already, take a few minutes to browse this site as I’m sure you will find a wealth of support information.

Thank you for posting and please do not hesitate to ask specific questions…there are many people on this site who are always there to help.

Keep us in the loop and update us on your Mom’s progress.

Rick

marysue
    Participant

Yep. My diagnosis exactly. I was diagnosed in 2008. I had surgery to remove the tumours followed by 6 weeks of BCG and then was clear until 2010 when I had a single tumour show up at a cysto check. I had a second surgery followed by 15 more BCG treatments over a year. 2011 wasn’t fun. I’ve been clear ever since. BCG or Bacllilus Callumette Guerin is an immunotherapy drug instilled in the bladder to treat non-invasive bladder cancer.

What has your mom had done so far? Is there any information that you need that we could help you with? Please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

I was diagnosed in 2005 with non-muscle invasive low-med grade. Did have 2 small recurrences in 2006 and 2007. After several BCG treatments I have been all clear since 2007. Non-muscle invasive bladder cancer can be treated with a high success rate. Do you know the stage of your mom’s bladder cancer, this would be shown on her pathology report?
    We are here to help, keep us posted on your mom’s journey.
    Try to keep her positive, easily said but can be difficult under the circumstances.
    All the best,
    Jack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.