skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Worried89
    Participant

Hello

Hoping to get some insight and maybe some words of encouragement.

Im a 64 year old male. About 3 years ago I had a bad bout of prostatitis. Was on cipro for a long time and always seemed to have microscopic hematuria but never got a cystoscopy. That finally got better but since then I’ve had 2 bladder infections and again still microscopic hematuria. Once i took the antibiotics for uti all other symptoms went away.

Ive been referred to urologist who will be doing a cystoscopy next week and I was sent for a urine cytology. Anyone else here with microscopic hematuria. What was your outcome? A bit nervous.

Thanks so much

Joe
    Participant

I know a patient who was diagnosed with bladder cancer after microscopic hematuria. But, it is rare such that in one study, only about 10 percent of people with visible hematuria and 2 to 5 percent of those with microscopic hematuria had bladder cancer. Another paper says malignancies are detected in up to 5% of patients with microscopic hematuria and in up to 30% to 40% of patients with gross hematuria.      Another study says the incidence of bladder cancer in a patient with gross hematuria is 20% and with microscopic hematuria is 2%.    So, at least you have 10 times better odds for not finding bladder cancer than those with gross hematuria.   I think the odds of Vancouver Canucks going to the Stanley Cup final has much better than their finding you with bladder cancer.  🙂  .   Also I would consider you very lucky for having a knowledgeable  doctor who has referred you to a urologist for cystoscopy and had your cytology done.   In my case, it had taken  three doctors to get a referral to a urologist even I had experienced painless gross hematuria twice.

best

Nightingale
    Keymaster

Hello Worried89,

I am glad to hear that you have been referred to a Urologist to have a cystoscopy done.  Better to be safe than sorry.  It is natural to be a bit nervous.  I can tell you from personal experience, that the thought of have a cystoscopy was definitely unnerving. The procedure for me was not bad at all.  I felt a pit of a pinch when the camera is pushed past the prostate, but after that there was zero discomfort.

It is good to hear that your antibiotic treatment has removed all the symptoms including microscopic hematuria (I’m assuming). Fingers crossed that you have nothing more to worry about.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

My best,

Worried89
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thank you Joe and Nightingale for your encouraging words. I do hope I have nothing to worry about.</p>

The microscopic hematuria is still there which is why I’m getting the cystoscopy but all other uti symptoms are gone. I’ve pretty much had microscopic hematuria since having prostatitis 3 years ago but this is the first time I’m being referred for cystoscopy

Joe
    Participant

I see.  So, do you think it has eliminated the infection as the cause of hematuria?      I know about interstitial cystitis but I did not know about prostatitis.   So, thank you for sharing your experience.  I had an enlarged prostate when I was diagnosed with the bladder cancer, so I had TURB, then 6 months later, I had TURP.   Back then, I was very anxious waiting for procedures and waiting for the test results. I still get nervous when cystoscopy gets near.

Have you received the result of cytology?   I have read that cytology is a very good urine analysis in predicting the existence of high grade tumor  but not so much on low grade tumor.  So, if the cytology report says Negative for high grade urothelial carcinoma (NHGUC), 90-100% chance that you do not have high grade tumor ( * Yale University Data).

best

Worried89
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I’m not sure if they’ve eliminated the cause of hematuria being an infection since all other symptoms are gone but the urologist did say it can be a bladder stone possibly in my bladder.</p>
    Yes prostatitis was a whole other ball game. I think the symptoms of prostatitis are similar to interstitial cystitis. It was a real pain! Very painful for over 6 months. So not sure if that can have anything to do not the hematuria. Since my prostatitis i seem to have a yearly bladder infection around this time of the year.

I have no received my cytology results. Im thinking Monday during my cystoscopy maybe.

How long ago were you diagnosed? How are you doing now?

Thanks again for your replies

Richard

Joe
    Participant

I was diagnosed  4 years ago with non muscle invasive bladder cancer.  I am doing fine except the month of cystoscopy surveillance when I get nervous.   I have only 60% lung capacity due to chronic asthma, so I have been  very careful with Covid-19.  I cannot go to where people gather because every time I cough I get their interesting attentions.   A good thing about the discussion forum is that I can cough as much as I can.   No, COVID-19 virus will not spread over internet. 🙂

Worried89
    Participant

I’m happy to hear you are doing well. I can just imagine how nervous it must be when you know your cystoscopy is soon. How often do you have one done?

This pandemic must have been even more stressful  with your asthma. I hope soon you will feel comfortable being in groups without fear of looks because of coughing. Its been a weird time. But you are right, thankfully there are people to chat with. It wil be nice to go back to some sort of normal!

Nightingale
    Keymaster

Hi Worried89,

Hopefully you don’t have cancer, but if you do then the sooner it’s caught the better.  I caught mine very early.  It was low-grade non-muscle invasive, and I am a 12 year survivor.  After 7 years of regular checkups and no BCG, I was given the green light by my Urologist that I no longer have to go in for checkups.

Wishing your results will be good and you don’t have anything to worry about.

My best,

Worried89
    Participant

Hi Nightingale,

That is some great news you got. What a relief it must have been to hear that!

Hoping for some good news Monday as well.

Thanks!

Joe
    Participant

I am sending you REIKI power from the snowy top of the mountains in British Columbia for a good result.

Best luck on Monday !!

Worried89
    Participant

Thank you Joe! I will keep you updated after my appointment.

Worried89
    Participant

Hi Joe

Although unpleasant the cystoscopy did not show anything of concern. My doctor recommends a ct scan to confirm all is well so thats the next step but I have relief they found nothing in my bladder!

Thank you for all your well wishes and I hope your follow up cystoscopies continue to be positive ones.

Joe
    Participant

That’s a very good new, Richard.

Did you hear anything about the result of cytology?

Cytology can look at cell level of the lining of bladder.   The size of cell is about 0.2mm.  The resolution of CT scan is about 2mm.  So, cytology can see what CT scan  cannot see.

So, if cystoscopy is negative and cytology is negative for high grade urothelial carcinoma , consider no cancer.  That’s is what  a well known urologist in the cancer center says here.

Joe

Worried89
    Participant

My doctor hasnt received the cytology results yet. Hoping he gets it soon.

I’m surprised he ordered a ct scan though. Wouldnt a cystoscopy show bladder better than the ct? Unless the ct is to check all parts of the urinary tract.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.