skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Homepage – Forum Forums Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer Long term smoker prognosis?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greg C
    Participant

Hi

I was wondering if there are any long term heavy smokers, former or current that have had a good outcome from this disease? I foolishly smoked for over 40yrs and it is the obvious reason for my illness. Every study I have read shows a poor prognosis for smokers as molecular change has already happened in the bladder. Is it a matter of too little too late? I was diagnosed 2yrs ago with low grade non-invasive and have had 2 small tumors removed twice in lower left bladder. I now have recurrence at same location along with new ones starting on the other side of bladder as well. This is causing a lot of worry and insomnia. I go back to Uro next Tuesday and am dreading it. Also dealing with stage 2 gleason 7 prostate cancer as well along with other health issues.

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Hi Greg
    Sorry you are having recurrences. I was a smoker for 42 years, I quit the day my Uro advised me I had bladder cancer. I was diagnosed in 2005 with low/medium grade had 2 small recurrences both low grade in 2006 and 2007. I have been cancer free since 2007. I had 30 BCG treatments and 1 instillation of Mitomycin C between 2006 and 2009.
    Have you had any treatments?
    All the best,
    Jack

Greg C
    Participant

Hi Jack

Thankyou for your reply. I am happy to hear that a fellow smoker has a happy story to tell. I see my Uro Oct 9th and will know more then. I haven’t had anything done besides the turbts. The thought of bcg concerns me as the side effects can be quite unpleasant from what I have read. I have also been having some dull pain around the bladder that worries me. I have quit and started smoking numerous times due to the stresses that come with this along with my other health issues. I am finding it so hard to stay smoke free, which sounds so ridiculous as that is the reason for the cancer in the first place. I just feel so stressed and don’t know how to change it. Sorry to ramble on.

Regards

Greg

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Hi Greg

You might want to ask your Uro about 1 installation of chemo right after your next Turbt. It has been known to decrease recurrences with many patients.
    Quitting smoking cigs is extremely difficult, I went through hell for a month, I completely understand the difficulty you are having with this.
    All the best,
    Jack

Greg C
    Participant

Thankyou for that regarding the chemo. I will ask about that. How about any side effects from the chemo? Also, any tips on the smoking?

Jack, thank you so much for being here, really need a friend who understands all this.

Greg

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Hi Greg
    The 1 instillation of mitomycin C or various other chemos which happens right after the Turbt and is instilled into the while you are still under anesthesia. In my case when they gave me lunch, I did vomit but not sure if the chemo caused it or the anesthesia. Other than that no other side effects.
    What I personally did to quit was no beer, no coffee (switched to green tea), no pop, and mostly drank water. Like I said it was hell especially the no coffee. Always had my 1st smoke of the day with a coffee. Worked for me but does not mean it will work for you.
    All the best.
    Jack

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Jack Moon.
    marysue
    Participant

Hi Greg C:

Sorry to learn that you are dealing with bladder and prostate cancer issues.  Have you thought of talking to your GP about using a medication to help quit smoking?  My brother was a smoker for almost 35 years and after a lung cancer scare decided to finally quit.  I did tell him that smoking is the main cause of bladder cancer.  More motivation for him to quit since he didn’t want to go through what I did and we did lose our father to cancer.  Dad was a life long smoker.  Bro was prescribed Champix (? I think it was called) and took pills as well as used patches to control cravings. It was tough but he has remained smoke free for almost 5 years. Maybe something to consider?  Best wishes.  (((((HUGS))))

David Smith
    Participant

Hi Greg C,

I too was a smoker for 35 years, and like Jack quit cold turkey the day I got the bad news. At that moment aside from simply quitting smoking I decided to do every thing I could do to better my chances. First I started reading everything I could on the subject. I started with a complete diet overhaul , the usual , no meat , no dairy,absolutely no sugar of any kind, huge quantities of vegetables of the anti oxidant variety.The next step might not be advised by western med. practitioners but I went on an vegetable juicing program for 6 weeks after my Cystoscopy diagnosis of possible sarcomatoid cancer ,through my 1st turbt, the path report that confirmed the sarcomatoid variant to just before my 2 turbt to take greater margins and varify that it was still stage 1.(it was). During that period all I consumed was 60 oz. of vegetable juice each day .Over those 6 weeks I lost 25 lbs of visceral fat that I ‘ d been promising myself I would lose for 10 years.Now after 45 years I was back to my university rowing wt. The 2nd turbt verified it was T20 and that no reminants of malignancies were found in the scrapings. I was advised by my uro ,that due to the type, my best chance of survival was an immediate RC. I took his advise and 2 weeks later they did the deed. The path report after examining all the meat detected no cancer in the bladder ,prostate or lymph nodes. My RC went exceptionally well and now I’m 8 months along and becoming quite attached to my new little friend. So that’s the drill on that…. back to the smoking… I think my best advice is the same as Jack’s, try to replace the habit with a new much healthier one.Honestly ,I became so focussed on my new obsession that I never gave my previous one a second look. I hope this helps. SJay , If you’re checking in, it seems that we have a similar circumstance.

Cheers ,Dave.

Greg C
    Participant

Thank you Jack, Marysue, Dave for taking the time to talk to me. I appreciate it so much!  I will let you know how things are after I see my Uro Oct 9th.

Greg C
    Participant

Hi Jack, Marysue, Dave

I am happy to say my cystoscopy went very well. What appeared 3 months ago to be the cancer coming back turns out to be scar tissue. We are so relieved about that! My Uro is more concerned about my prostate cancer at this point. I go to Sunnybrook for a pelvic mri Dec 1st and then discuss options about a week later. Hoping and praying it works out. Just wanted to give you wonderful folks an update.

Thanks for being here

Greg

marysue
    Participant

Hi Greg:

Thanks for the update and congrats on the Good News!!  Let’s say prayers and keep our fingers crossed for you going forward.  Good luck and best wishes for your December MRI.  I hope that you will be able to get a handle on your prostate issues as well. ((((HUGS))))

Greg C
    Participant

Hi Marysue

Thank you so much! Yes we will says prayers and I will definitely pray for your continued success. I so appreciate your thoughtfulness and support.

God Bless and many hugs to you!

Greg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.