skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KIOWA
    Participant

Sorry to be away so long. I had jaw surgery, 7 hours of it followed by an acute bowl obstruction requiring emergency surgery and came close to killing me. But my last 6 month cysto was clear. All clear since my last group of surgeries and failed BCG treatments in 2008. I was cancer free from 1992 till 2008. And it came back. Good thing my doc insisted on yearly check-ups. Now I have to have them every six months forever. All that almost ended with the bowl obstruction! But I’m back.

Kiowa

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Dam, you have had a plate full Kiowa. At least the cancer is staying away which is great news. You are our Valstar champion!
    So happy to see you back here.
    All the best,
    Jack

KIOWA
    Participant

Thanks,Jack. Was an interesting bull ride. Yup, the Valstar did the trick. That drug has a low success rate but when it works it’s works. Plus my urologist never gives up. He promised mr in 2008 that he would keep me alive and keep my bladder healthy for many years after M.D. Anderson insisted I need a radical cysts to you. He cares about his patients. I told him he cannot retire until I die.

Ki

marysue
    Participant

Welcome back Ki! Sorry to learn that you have had so many health challenges recently. Jeesh! as Jack said, you have had a full plate. I sure hope that that is it but as you said, at least the bladder cancer has stayed away. Bowel obstruction is no joke though…I know of a couple of other people that have had issues.

Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Stay healthy from now on, ya hear? (((((HUGS)))))

KIOWA
    Participant

Thanks Marysue. I had been having problems with opiate induced constipation for a few months from the morphine used for my MS pain. My doc tried a med for hat and it worked fine. There was no. Reason to believe it was serious. But when it came back he got concerned and made a gastroenterologist appt for me immediately but that night it got so bad EMS had to take me to the medical center ER. I started vomiting and I knew immediately what it was they did a stat CT scan and the ER doc called in a surgeon who is a friend and great surgeon. They got me in the OR right away and he found an adhesion causing a total blockage in the small intestine. The tissue was almost starting to die so they loaded me up with antibiotics abs surgically fixed the problem. But in a few hours I would have gone into septic shock. One more day and I would not have made it. I’m OK now. But it will take a while to get back to normal. I almost waited but when when my stomach started feeling nauseous I suspected a blockage and the pain was insane. Thankfully all inboxed reponded quickly and professionally. They took good care of me. It’s nice to be back. One more minor jaw work though in a couple of months. But that should be minimal. I have a great maxillofacial surgeon. But my cystoscope last month was clear. That was great news. Now I have to stay out of trouble. HA. Never happen!

marysue
    Participant

Ki,

I think this recent journey you’ve had is one for the record books.

I take back what I wrote in my post about being in the Book of Job. You were in the Book of Job and Daniel combined. Talk about walking through the fires….

Get well and stay well, please? ((((((HUGS)))))

KIOWA
    Participant

We’re both in the Book of Job and of course our wonderful friend Greg for sure is in there. My experiences were far less than what many of our other friends on this site are going through. But man, I sure do miss Greg. I think about him all the time and I really really miss him. I’m sure he is now helping us.

Ki

marysue
    Participant

I miss Greg too especially the banter between the two of you. And yes, I believe that he is watching all of us from above. My only positive thought in this is at least he is no longer in pain and is in a far better place. (((((HUGS)))))

Rick B
    Participant

Great to hear from you Ki. Sorry to hear about what you had to go through and so very pleased to learn you are doing OK now. Must be that tough Texan in you man! Yes indeed, we are gratefully to have known Greg and and while I never did meet him in person I just felt I knew him well from the dialogue we shared. He will always be remembered.

Take care & God Bless.

Rick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.