skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KeithW
    Participant

Hi,
    My name is Keith, I’m 66 and I live in Lakefield, just North of Peterborough, Ontario.
    I first had a problem in 2001, with a bladder tumor, which was removed and declared begnine. I had regular scopes since then.
    I started with my recent bladder issues on March 8, 2012 when I discovered that I could not pass urine at all. I ended up in Emergency at Peterborough Reg. Health Centre (PRHC), where they fitted a catheter. During the night, the catheter blocked and I had not been provided with the equipment to flush it. I was under VON care and had the cathter replaced the following day and was provided with the flushing syring.
    My Urologist did a scoping and found a tumor. During the Summer my Urologist tried 3 times to eliminate the tumor and also put me on BCG treatment.
    In the end, he said that he could not “dig” any deeper and the only course of action was to remove the bladder. This was done on 22 Oct, 2012 and I was supposed to be in hospital for 7-10 days. After two weeks, there was no sign of my bowels returning to normal so I was sent for a CT scan. The doctors discovered that I had a hernia, so I was sent for surgery the same night.
    All together, I spent two and a half months in hospital and was released a week and a half ago.
    I am at home now and recovering fairly well. I’m getting used to changing my appliance and being careful about the pouch getting too full.
    I have been receiving support at home from VON and Red Cross.
    I have an appointment with the urologist this afternoon.

Keith W
    Lakefield

marysue
    Participant

Welcome Keith. I’m sorry that you have been through so much and sorry that you have need of us but we are here for you. There are many on this site that have had bladder removal (radical cysectomy) done so don’t hesitate to post any questions and concerns. Best wishes for a continued and speedy recovery.

Zina
    Participant

Hi Keith, its nice to meet you, although I am sorry for the circumstances. You certainly have been through a lot in the last few months. I hope you spend the next few relaxing and recovering. Best of luck at your uro appointment. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Greg
    Participant

Keith: Glad you posted with us. If further treatment is recommended by your uro, keep us posted. Some will have gone through additional treatment and most of us who have had a radical cystectomy would recommend being treated at a major cancer centre rather than an outlying area due to relatively small numbers of patients being treated there.
    Glad you’re home and wish you every success in your recovery. Feel free to tap into the wealth of information among the folks on this site. It can be priceless.

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘First Time Post’ is closed to new replies.