skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Homepage – Forum Forums Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer Federal Income Tax Disability Tax Credit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Donald123
    Participant

Has anyone who has incontinence following a radical cystoscopy and routinely needs ostomy supplies ever applied for the $1500 federal income tax disability tax credit ?  It certainly seems to apply due to the required time to sanitize and the restrictions it poses on one’s self.

Don

Joe
    Participant

Hi Donald

I know several patients who had urinary diversions, ileal conduit or Indiana pouch.  Their applications for disability tax had been approved.  So, assume that something wrong was what had been written in the application form Form T2201.    Neobladder, I do not know, unless you have to catheterization often.  It is noted that the disability tax credit for urinary diversion falls into the category of ELIMINATION.  As far as Indiana Pouch for those whose application has been approved had the urologist who did the surgery filled in relevant information in T2201 form because only the surgeon understands the implication of the surgery.  In terms of ileal conduit, some patients filled in and had GP signed.  As you know, a doctor and nurse practice can sign T2201 but not ET nurses at this time.  You can claim up to 10 back dated for the disability tax credit, so take time and fill in the form properly.   Anyway, assume that all ileal conduit, Indiana pouch because of bladder cancer should qualify for the disability tax credit.  Because I do not know any patient who had neobladder done and needs catheterization frequently, eg. 5-6 times a day, so I cannot tell, but it should because the process of voiding is almost the same as Indiana pouch.   It is possible that  your MLA may be able to help you process the application and if your application is rejected somehow.  Peter Julian, NDP, New West, in BC has been doing this for many years.  Please note that I am not associated with any political party.  Just want to mention an example.

best

Stever
    Keymaster

Don,

If you have an ostomy, you can apply for the Disability Tax Credit.
    The form is downloadable from the CRA website. You can fill out the relevant parts and then give the form to your family doctor to fill out. I have an ileal conduit and our family doctor asked me to give her a brief summary of costs and time taken per change of appliance. This was a simple 2 paragraph document. My costs are approximately $2100 per year but here in Ontario, we are able to apply for the Assistive Devices Program which gives back $975 in two cheques every 6 months. It takes me 20 to 30 minutes to change and I need to change about every 5 days.
    Once you have the form back, send it off to Revenue Canada and wait. As I remember, you cannot send the form till you have had the ostomy for 1 year. As I had my surgery in April, I sent the form in the following year after I had done my taxes and they reassessed my taxes and sent me a refund. My disability amount for the next year was over $8000 in deductions so it is worth doing.
    Once the form is on file with CRA, you may not have to do it again.
    As Joe said above, take your time to fill out the form properly and make sure that it says permanent ostomy.

Nightingale
    Keymaster

Hi Donald123,

I should have mentioned that there is additional information in the Forum in this link that is on the home page of the Forum.  To save you looking for it, here is the link https://www.ostomycanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Canada-Wide-Reimbursement-ProgramsR.pdf

My best,

Joe
    Participant

To follow up with Steve’s comment on the timing of the application.  We do not have to wait for one year from the surgery.   One patient I know had sent the application  three months later and the application was accepted.  I assume assessment officers of Revenue Canada must have known that urinary diversion of bladder cancer patients is permanent as soon as the surgery is completed.   Having said that I  do not recommend to rush because the disability tax credit applies up to 10 years back dated.

best

Joe
    Participant

BC residents who have chosen Indiana Pouch as urinary diversion are not qualified any subsidies or financial assistance from BC Pharmacare though those who have chosen ileal conduit do qualify for Pharmacare for urostomy bags and devices.  So, Disability Tax Credit is the only financial program available to offset the cost of daily use of intermittent catheters.    In US, under Medicare, up to 200 intermittent catheters are subsided. In UK, National Health Service pays fully the use of intermittent catheters.  In Ontario and some other provinces, they provide financial assistance to urostomy and intermittent catheters equally.  So, for  patients with Indiana pouch urinary diversion in BC is strongly recommended to apply for disability tax credit because I know a few patients with Indiana Pouch because of bladder cancer have qualified for Disability Tax Credit.    Incidentally, patients with urostomy also qualify for Disability Tax Credit.

best

Nightingale
    Keymaster

Thanks Joe.

To follow up on Joe’s comments, I think the moral of the story is to apply for the tax credit in which ever province you’re in.  As governments change and evolve, the tax credits may change as well, so best to check the CRA website Disability-Related Information 2020 – Canada.ca 

My best,

Donald123
    Participant

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  Much appreciated !

I’ve been waiting for a reply, expecting a message there was one, but nothing arrived.  So I loggred in just now and there were many.  Thanks.

I will check with my urologist/surgeon re filling out the form.

Don

Donald123
    Participant

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  Much appreciated !

I’ve been waiting for a reply, expecting a message there was one, but nothing arrived.  So I loggred in just now and there were many.  Thanks.

I will check with my urologist/surgeon re filling out the form.

Don

Donald123
    Participant

Just an update.

I printed the application for the disability tax credit and took it to my urologist at my latest consult.  He filled in his portion, signed it, and I mailed it off.  Two weeks later I got a letter stating that it was approved, and that I would hear more within eight weeks.  Two weeks later I got an email from CRA telling me I have a tax credit plus interest for 2019 and 2020.  Credit will continue annually with no need to reapply (I think).  Totally surprised tat the speed this all transpired.

Don

Nightingale
    Keymaster

Fantastic news Donald123!  Nice to hear positive reviews for a change.

My best,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.