skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Danidjar
    Participant

My name is David, I am 37 years old and 2 months ago I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. It all started over 3 months ago when I suddenly had severe lower back pain. A week after the back pain had subsided I noticed that my urine was slightly pink and I had a slight burning sensation during urination. I mentioned this odd occurrence to my wife and she insisted I see the doctor. After much insistence on the part of my wife and despite the fact that my symptoms were gone I finally relented and went to the doc. After explaining my symptoms the doctor said that I probably had a urinary tract infection or kidney stones. He sent me for a urine test to check for infection and just for the sake of clarity an ultrasound of my pelvis and abdomen. He said it’s highly unlikely to be anything serious as I am very young. Within a day of having the ultrasound I received a phone call from my doctor that the ultrasound showed a 2.5 cm mass in my bladder close to the ureter and that I would need to see a urologist ASAP. Needless to say my entire world was turned upside down by this news. Shortly after I went to the urologist for a cystoscope test. As the urologist was looking at the screen he gave me the news that the mass was in fact a solitary papillary carcinoma tumour and it was extremely close to the ureter. I walked out of the room in a daze and told my wife that I had cancer. Five and a half weeks ago I had a TURBT and a stent placed in my ureter as the opening had to be scraped due to the proximity of the tumour. Approximately 10 days after the surgery I received the results of the pathology tests. I had Stage TA low grade non invasive papillary urothelial carcinoma. Apparently this is the best possible diagnosis for bladder cancer. I will be going in for another cysto to remove my stent and the doc will have another look in 2 days. I consider myself blessed even though the urologist said that I am only the second patient under 40 he has had in the last 10 years with bladder cancer. I tell every single person I know and meet my story because had it not been for the pressure of my wife and the thoroughness of my doctor I would’ve ignored my symptoms.

Thanks for reading my story.

David.

Rick B
    Participant

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out to BCC and for sharing your story. You, like most of us have discovered having Bladder Cancer in the most unusual ways. I had been doing some heavy lifting and bending (landscaping) which I normal don’t do and found my self rushing to the bathroom to void but often the amount was very little…I did not see red. I was due for my annual check-up and mentioned it to my family doctor. He like your doctor was very thorough…I had a small non-invasive tumor and have been cancer free for over 6 yrs…I’m 68 and see my Urologist annually to make sure everything is still ok.

It is great news that your cancer is TA low grade…I am very pleased for you. My best advice, even thought I doubt if it’s needed, always follow-up as recommended by your URO and should you have any questions, please reach out as there is a wealth of knowledge/experience about Bladder Cancer on this site.

Stay positive, stay strong…

Rick

Nightingale
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Thank you very much for sharing your story.  I discovered my cancer when after a 5 K race, I had a tremendous urge to pee.  My pee was all deep red and scared the living daylight out of me.  I caught mine very early and am now a 10 year survivor.  The message we try and get out to all those who are willing to listen is that if you see red, see your doctor and by all means talk about the possibility of Cancer. Better to be safe than sorry.

Please stay in touch through this Forum Site.

My best,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.