skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Homepage – Forum Forums Monthly Treatment Calendar Calendar for September 2014 – who’s up for surgeries, treatments etc.?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    marysue
    Participant

Here we go again folks…..Another month is in it’s waning stages. Summer is drawing to a close. Wishing everyone the best that has to do “stuff” this month. Let’s pray for successes and “All Clears”

auntybevy
    Participant

After having cystos every 3 months or less for over three years, my first six month cysto is scheduled for September 4th.

Bev

Greg
    Participant

Bone scan Sept 3. CT scan sometime in Sept. Chemo starts Sept 16.

You heard about the guy who had an x-ray of his brain?
    They found nothing!

Greg

Rick B
    Participant

3 month follow-up cysto scheduled for Sept 17th…here’s to looking for another all clear…

Wishing everyone having treatments and the like, the very best / most favourable outcomes.

Brain scan and found nothing…”I like”. Much like the Banker who thought he needed heart surgery, didn’t have one!

Rick

shelties
    Participant

Hi there everyone. Sept. is looking like a busy month for people. I too, am having a cysto on Sept. 18th and hoping against hope that I get an “all clear” as well. With the past year being what it’s been for me, a 6 month reprieve would be great. Part of me is looking forward to getting this done and over with, (I hate them) and the other part of me is wishing it never gets here. Talk about mixed feelings.

I like the one about the brain scan – nothing there.

Good luck everyone!

Lorraine

Rob T
    Participant

BCG every Friday.

Rick B
    Participant

3 Month cysto follow-up today was “all clear”…yipee…yahoo…happy dancing now! I will have another in Dec…15 months and 8 days “all clear” but who’s counting.

Rick

Jack Moon
    Keymaster

Fantastic news Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats.
    Jack

KIOWA
    Participant

I have nothing, just like Greg. I do wish all of you who do have something good luck with your outcomes. My prayers are with all of you.

Ki

shelties
    Participant

Good to hear Rick. I can understand how elated you are with that news. I’m going in tomorrow and I hope I’m as lucky as you. Wish me luck!!

Lorraine

shelties
    Participant

Hi All, well I just got home after having my cystoscopy this morning, (not fun), but in any case, no tumors showing which is great news for sure. Having said that, my Urologist showed me on the screen how the inside of my bladder is really red and raw. He is concerned about that, as am I, and in fact, it has been like that since the last BCG treatments I had in May. He’s also concerned about the condition of my uretha tube, (the tube that goes from my kidney to my bladder). I had a tumor removed from that back in Feb. He’s planning to do surgery in a few months to check that out and to do some biopsies. Otherwise, he’s not giving me the BCG treatments. (I didn’t ask if that was partly due to the shortage, as well as the fact that there are no obvious tumors present in my bladder.)

What I would like to ask some of you regulars on here is, have any of you developed a raw redness on your bladders that didn’t clear up after having BCG treatments? If so, did it last for months, and did it eventually clear up? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any light you can share on this.

Lorraine

marysue
    Participant

Generally docs postpone further BCG treatments if the bladder has become really inflamed from them as this can lead to serious infection. I was fortunate that my inflammation was minor and healed quickly. Some I’ve heard have switched to an anti-inflammation type diet and have reported that it helped. The healing does take time and if you’re body has been compromised due to multiple health concerns it will take longer. My suggestions are stay away from caffeine. That has been reported to be a help. I can attest to this personally. Caffeine and BCG with me didn’t get along. The other suggestion is drink lots and lots of water to keep your urine diluted and hopefully less irritating. Other suggestions are consider seeking alternative healing methods like acupuncture. I had acupuncture treatments before, during and after surgeries and treatments and swear that it helped with the healing process. I still go once a month for a “booster” to keep my body in sync. Acupuncture is external so it doesn’t interfere with any other treatments or medications. As for vitamins and supplements, they may help. I take several but strongly recommend that you consult with a naturopath or other holistic health provider before trying anything out. They have the training and knowledge about what is best and can tailor a plan that is right for you.

shelties
    Participant

Hi Marysue, thanks so much for your reply. I will certainly give serious consideration to your wise words of wisdom. Having been through this yourself gives you lots of credibility in my opinion. I’m not a big coffee drinker – 2 cups a day, but will even cut that out. Perhaps I’ll start drinking herbal teas. Drinking water is a whole different story, which may be part of my problem because I never was a big water drinker. I will do it, but it will be a real challenge. On a different note, my skin has always been ultra sensitive in that the least little thing irritates me, so this could also contribute to this irritation in my bladder as well. The other points you make are great to and I will consider those as well.

Thanks again for your input. I will let you know how it goes.

Lorraine

marysue
    Participant

You’re welcome. Peppermint and chamomile are very soothing for the bladder and the digestive tract. As for water I suggest experimenting with different bottled waters. They do have different tastes. Here in Calgary our water is very hard and often tastes funky especially since the floods last year so I stick to bottled or filtered water for drinking. Perrier or some other carbonated water is good too. I find Superstore’s “Real Canadian” brand and Safeway’s “Refresh” bottled waters to have the best taste.

Another note about caffeine – it is very dehydrating on the body; remember how after coffee or black tea you often have to go? this coupled with the lack of drinking water regularly means you are dehydrating yourself and that will further concentrate your urine. I find hot water in the morning helpful. I drink 2-3 cupfuls. It stimulates my digestive tract which got screwed up with the BCG and gives me that hydration boost to start the day.

I find keeping a bottle or cup of water beside me as I work like on the computer helps me drink as the day goes on. I also keep a travel bag that I take with me if I’m going out for most of the day and that always has at least 2 bottles of water in it.

It is a new habit to acquire with practice.

G and M
    Participant

Back on chemo treatment (C/G)

PS: Had a brain scan done earlier this month. The CT image only showed a hamster running on a wheel?

Good luck to all others having treatments this month.

Glenn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.