skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Homepage – Forum Forums Newly Diagnosed With Bladder Cancer Bladder Diverticulum with Tumor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fraser255
    Participant

I had my Bladder Tumor removed on April 11, 2018. I paid for my own CT scan because I would not have been able to get one until July and was very tired to have been put on waiting lists for everything. I would not have even received my surgery until June if I did not have to make a trip to the ER with uncontrolled bleeding. What was noted on the CT was I had an abnormality called bladder diverticulum “Small out punching of the bladder” and that is assumed to have been there for many years. I also had a stage 1-2, spiking tumor at the neck of the diverticulum with no other problems noted pelvis, abdomen, or chest. Dr Jacobsen was the one that brought me in for the surgery. I really liked this doctor as he came to visit me in post-up, I felt the care of this doctor not that I was just another bladder ca patient on an assembly line of care. Dr Jacobsen said the surgery went well and he was not worried about the diverticulum. I asked if it looked like cancer and he said yes but it’s more like a “Pussy Cat Type” Pretty funny if I had not been on this forum I would not know what he meant. My son that was with me made a joke saying am I going to have two bald parents now. Seeing my wife has just finished chemo/radiation for breast ca. Dr Jacobsen said probably not as there are different ways to treat bladder ca. I did not ask any more questions as I knew he was visiting more patients in the recovery room. Yesterday I received a letter stating my follow up was going to be May 10. I’m assuming it does not take 21 days to get my pathology report back and I never did get a biopsy during the cystoscopy. I am a seasonal worker and will need to return to my job in May. I am hoping that there may be some folks on this forum that have the same condition as I do with the bladder diverticulum. If so had it complicated any treatments that you have received? When I asked the surgeon if the tumor may have invaded the bladder muscle he stated that there was no bladder muscle around the diverticulum this does not sound good to me. Lastly will the pathology report be posted to Alberta Netcare so I can go to my family doctor to get the results earlier? Maybe I can still hold onto the hope that the tumor is benign even if it looked malignant during surgery. Blood work showed atypical cells but does that not just mean irregular shaped and could that have been part of sluffing of the mucosa?

marysue
    Participant

Hi Fraser255:

Welcome to Bladder Cancer Canada but sorry that you have need of us.  I too, have a diverticulum in my bladder.  It was discovered at my follow up cystoscopy check last year.  I asked my uro what causes this and he told me that it can be anything from just age to a weakening of the bladder wall at a surgical site.  He said in my case it was a former surgical site that decided to pouch out.  He also told me in my case it is okay to leave it be since I have no issues with recurring cancer or bladder function.

People can get diverticulum in many areas of the body – the intestines and esophagus to name a couple more.  Most times no treatment is required.

As for the waiting game – it is a major issue that many people face with bladder cancer.  We seem to wait for everything; appointments, tests, surgeries, treatments, follow ups, you name it.  The wait times can really vary depending on where you live and the doctors and resources available. I live in Calgary and hear many stories of stressful and lengthy wait times.

Waiting a month for pathology results is on the long side and very stressful.  Pathology results usually take 10 days to 2 weeks to come back in most cases but the extra wait comes with having to wait to see the doctor in the office.  Many patients often have to do this which in my opinion is not fair.  Some doctors will discuss results over the phone.  Mine did because I was a brat and was persistent.  I found out my results by accident when I went to my GP on another matter.  He already had the report (within a week of my TURBT surgery) and gave me the basics but said that I’d have to have a conversation with my uro to know what the next steps were.  After I got home, I called my uro’s office and told the receptionist that I knew that my results were in and wanted to speak to my uro pronto so I would know what was coming next.  She got him to call me at the end of the day when he was finished seeing office patients. So maybe it might be worth it to contact your GP to see if he/she was cc’d on the report and if they have it you can do the back door like I did.

You can relax a little knowing that the tumour was removed and at the very least has temporarily slowed everything down and bought you a bit of a window of time.  When you do finally see your doctor the main thing to ask is the stage and grade of the bladder cancer and if any muscle was taken with the samples.  Muscle in the sample is the best way that a pathologist can determine for sure if the cancer is muscle invasive or not. Stage is how far the cancer has spread and grade means how aggressive the cancer is.  The second thing will to be to ask about follow up care.  Again that will depend on the pathology results.  The “best” results a bladder cancer patient can hope for if tumours are malignant is “non-muscle invasive, low grade” which translates into “early stage, not aggressive” meaning that it is not life threatening and is not likely to become so.

As for needing chemo, the systemic type where you go bald, with bladder cancer that is usually prescribed either pre or post surgery for radical cystectomy patients. These are patients that were diagnosed with muscle invasive bladder cancer and had to have their bladders removed.  Some muscle invasive patients are candidates for what is called “bladder preservation treatment” and they undergo a regime of chemotherapy and radiation instead of having their bladders removed.

However, you are a very long way from that if ever, your main thing to focus on is the upcoming results and the positive thing to focus on is that your doc suspects that it is most likely the pussy cat variety – low grade and the fact that the majority of tumours are non-muscle invasive (early stage) when found.

I hope my long winded novel has helped answer some of your concerns.  Best wishes going forward and don’t hesitate to ask questions as they come up – no question is a dumb question.  (((((HUGS)))))

cheryl9
    Participant

Hello Fraser

I have waited as long as five weeks for the pathology report. Even my uro was hassling the pathologist. Ends up there was so much tissue sample it was just taking that long to process. That time I had large 3 cm tumor and “numerous superficial tumors”. It is hard to be patient, but I would prefer the pathologist do his job right and if it takes five weeks, so be it. Yes, the wait was not nice but I decided no amount of stressing would speed up the process so why even go there.

If you want results faster, tell your uro to skip the appointment to get the results. Just phone instead. That is what I do. After four years, I have yet to set foot in my uro’s office. I want the results, don’t care the environment they are delivered in. One time even got the results while driving down the highway. Anyway, if you don’t care for protocol, skip the appointment and take the phone call method instead.

Take care

Cheryl

kaikit
    Participant

Hi Fraser255,

There is no good way of advising this, but here it goes.

As I am turning 50 years old, I decided to go in and get a regular physical checkup as the “BIG 50 was approaching,” only common sense would prevail as I am perhaps “half way” through my existence in life. Just to let you know, that I am a physcially fit individual that plays ice hockey one/two times a week and never occurred to me that this would happen.

Unfortunately, from those tests, I have been diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. I too have Cancer in my Diverticulum.  Now, I am as shocked as you are, but amazingly due to my early detection, the odds are looking promising; but with Cancer, anything can happen.

After the initial shock as my life flashed infront of my eyes and the range of emotions that occurred… I was handed a Bladder Cancer pamphlet by my Urologist in Vancouver; Dr. Alan So. he went through my options and gave his advice on which was the best to proceed. From reading the pamphlet, it calmed me down to what was going to occur in my life. My surgery is set for sometime in September and I have opted for the “Orthotopic Neobladder” option. It was the best option for the aggressive type of Cancer that was identified.

I would also like to say that being a family that has been diagnosed with Cancer is financially dibilitating. Being not able to work, the family suffers as it struggles with having Cancer and pay bills as life does not stop; even though you have Cancer. I am sure that I am not the only one that has said this, but I guess I am lucky as I caught this early and should be thankful to be alive.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and commend Bladder Cancer for the wonderful pamphlet as it calmed me down.

Thanks,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.