skip to Main Content
BCC_Discussion-Forum-Page-Header-new

IMPORTANT: The Bladder Cancer Canada discussion forum is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. The opinions & contents in this forum is for information only and is not reviewed by medical professionals. They are experiences & opinions of patient members like you, and is NOT intended to represent the best or only approach to a situation. Always consult your physician and do not rely solely on the information in this site when making decisions about your health.

Homepage – Forum Forums Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer Appropriate Follow up after Radical Cystectomy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mollygolly
    Participant

Hello All!

Just wondering what the standard/usual procedure is for follow up after RC. My urologist has booked me for a CT scan in February. That will be my first 6 month check up. He mentioned to me last August that he thought after my first scan I could move to yearly. I have to say I am a little apprehensive about that given the nasty nature of high grade bladder cancer. I know of others who had the same type/grade T1G3 and CIS who had recurrence after RC. Also wondering if others have had a full body scan or just the abdomen/pelvis. What about urine cytology or checking kidney function etc. I am not comfortable moving to yearly after my first scan. I thought is was supposed to be every 6 months for 2 years and then move to yearly.

marysue
    Participant

I suggest contacting Greg Neeley on this one. He does all kinds of follow ups for various things and is well versed.

Greg
    Participant

I had a CT at six months and one year and then my uro booked me for a year following that. One of the concerns with CT scans is the high radiation involved and as we know, radiation can cause…cancer! So it is no doubt a balancing act that they perform – wanting to detect cancer without actually causing it. I think each centre and maybe even each uro-oncologist has their own protocol. There seems to be no consistent regimen followed across the country or even from cancer centre to cancer centre. It was an issue discussed in a CUA meeting I was privileged to attend a couple of weeks ago.
    I had T1G3 which progressed to T2bG3 necessitating my RC. Also had CIS in all the wrong places! Yet here I am post RC by two years, one month and 12 days – but who is counting? – and as far as I know I am the healthiest guy I know! I have only had the pelvic scan, usually with dye injected along with a chest x-ray, though why they cannot dispense with the chest x-ray and just move the CT a little higher is beyond me. But since I am an insurance guy and know little about medicine, I tend to put a great deal of faith in my doctors. If I did not, I would change doctors. One of the benefits of being cared for at a major cancer centre is that I know they have done this once or twice before — this week!
    All the best.
    Greg

Mollygolly
    Participant

Thanks for the info Greg. I have heard that too about CT scans causing cancer.

KIOWA
    Participant

radiation can cause cancer? Nooooo. No way!

Bruce
    Participant

if you have any signs or symptoms you can talk to your Urologist or the office and they will have appropriate follow up times. I was suppose to have 6 month scans instead of 3 month and because of the issues I ended up having CT on Monday instead of May.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.